Thursday, February 7, 2013

of women, fake hair,low self esteem and betraying "their kind"

 A dear friend of mine wrote this and I just had to share it because I agree with her 100 %

She said all of this!

 

HAIR
At the Last lantern meet, me and my gender were attacked about our ‘westernness’ they picked and clung to a sensitive topic, our hair. I was scolded for using hair extensions a.k.a fake hair.Archiebald took me aside and put me in a mini African history/philosophy and self esteem class, Patrick massa sent me to tell my sisters that they(dudes)hate our hair, Daniel Nuwamanya stuffed Laurin Hill’s dreadlocks up my nostrils, Manzi Solomon told me I was plunging Uganda into further economic depression. Peter Kagayi didn’t waste words, he got physical he kept flipping my braid into my face and yanking at them while in the meet. Its like I fell in a bunch of bible thumping Christians who were exorcising some demon from my head. It just so happens that my spoken is wanting, and so all I kept saying was some silly but meaningful statement "I want my braids,leave them alone!" but here is the stuff I failed to encase in words

 

REASONS WHY GIRLS DO THEIR HAIR’  which was falsely answered by Patrick Massa who said that we do it to impress guys.
This is a myth before/when you are seated on your butt or having your head up a heater the last thing at the back of your head is a guy. The thoughts like ‘ok I don`t have to comb for months’ or ‘God I had better like what I see’. Now when it comes to hair its more of a relationship between a woman and her hair, there is rarely another party involved. To many women their hair is sacred to them, and although a positive attitude may influence what they do to it, it is very unlikely that a negative opinion will sway them. There are scores of women whose spouses, religions and societies forbid them to grow hair or do anything foreign to it, their hair extensions a.k.a fake hair and chemicals are hugely frowned upon but these women go ahead and do what they like to their hair this just shows you that it has nothing to do with impressing anyone. We love our hair, we wanna keep it, sometimes long sometimes soft ..let us be.Yes, maybe women are just vain,narcissistic creatures and (not something to be proud of but blame it on the potter or Science). A woman, I know can spend a jolly time alone in a mirror hoping from one foot to another making cute faces and cooing at herself and I don`t know one who does that around on any man who takes their fancy. Its not pretense no, truth is the people we seek to impress most are ourselves.

 

CHANGING HAIR STYLES FREQUENTLY WITH FAKE HAIR

Now I know how much we change our hair styles from long extensions to red hair to curly to spiky. Still its not to impress we just get bored with the look and there is nothing wrong with liking diversity, If God didn`t like diversity the world would be clothed in one colour or it would be one vast plain, and aren't we fragments of God? Why are you surprised then if some gender X acts the same.

Maybe you don`t raise hair on you heads (Men) but you have different shirts plain ones, dull ones, bright one, tartaned.. There are some men who change hair too a `lot one minute they have a good head of hair then they mow it then they raise a moustache and slash it. I don`t want to assume why y`all do this but I`ll risk speaking on your behalf that you do it for the same reasons as us to look good and not to impress every girl we meet.

 

FEELING GOOD ABOUT ONE`S SELF/ SELF ESTEEM
Dear Archibald,
Now I totally agree with you black women can rock bald heads or their natural hair and we don`t have to look foreign to look beautiful (and we don`t set out to look foreign by the way).
I know how important it is to derive that good feeling or self love from things within, intangible things but please understand it is a broken world we live in and at times it can come down on anyone like a tonne of bricks and then it becomes hard to see anything to make you smile or a reason to walk while whistling but you should know that a dying man can clutch at a straw and in this case if it is hair extensions a mile long, cologne or a pair of nike sneakers needed to jump start your good feeling, please, so be it .
You can`t separate the inside from the outside Archie, they go hand in hand. These external things are crutches that help us walk when we fall in, we shouldn`t depend on them no, but again we are not gods. . .

 

WOMEN ARE PLUNGING THE WORLD /AFRICA INTO ECONOMIC DEPRESSION,INJECTING BILLIONS OF MONEY INTO FOREIGN ECONOMIES BY BUYING THEIR HAIR PRODUCTS. WHILE OUR CHILDREN STARVE WE SWISH LONG PURPLE HAIR.

 

Dear Manzi Solomon,
You are not wrong we do spend money on these things and yes we have enough hungry children , naked with only flies for company running these streets,so on behalf of myself and every woman of child bearing age who feeds the west with our money I apologise but please someone raise your hand if you are wearing or have anything or two that have made in Uganda or made in Lesotho on them. Almost everything we use, food stuffs, the cars, phones and your colognes, shaving creams, condoms, I can bet my womb on it they do not come from these lands or an island near.

Yes we do give lots of our money which is not even enough to those folks but they are not to blame and neither are we. They worked hard, invested in their economies and built monster industries bringing the world at their doorstep with bowls. Don`t hate on them or us the customers so much we should be bashing our heads on the walls for being lazy , corrupt , not innovative etc. Or you can bring out the classical blame on the whites about how they exploited, raped our land, took all our wealth and the strongest of our men . You should have recovered by now(what should the Japanese say about the Hiroshima and Nagasaki event I mean their kids are born retarded crippled even their soil is poisoned and yet they are not a third world country because of that so all Africans with this mantra on their lips get over yourselves). Point is, we have no choice n everybody consumes western stuff not only women.

Manzi, there are worse evils on these soils than child bearing women plaiting their hair trust me buying Korean hair, extensions is at the bottom of that list I`ll mail you a list of evils that runs from here to Alaska of things that people have done and have wounded this land. No, two wrongs do not make a right but what we do is not up there with child sacrifice , slavery , swindling funds for minorities or paedophilia. We have done lots of good for this country too outside beautifying ourselves, give us some credit and you force me to point fingers but men are leading in crime everywhere.

Also Lots of women who have not got a chance at education or could not understand the western education stuff are making a living out of “women`s obsession with their hair” . You have no clue how many kids would go unschooled and supper-less if Women stopped doing their hair. You have no clue .

PS. I can promise you one thing if a hair extension making industry opens up here I`ll offer them my love, money and scalp.

Manzi and archie on the case of chemicals, that's true that shit aint good but, what isn’t cancerous shaving cream and perfume aint herbs u know..

 

WE ARE ALL GUILTY

Lastly ,I wasn’t arguing with you all the time in my head,I agree and learnt a lot from what you said. You guys are all right,we should embrace our culture and everything that we are, it is true that media and its western content has taken toll on us, and yes lots of women have done all sorts of things to themselves and spiralled out of control, I'd like to see all of us elevating what is our own and being African in every sense of the word but please don’t throw large rocks at women or women only, for sending their Africanness down a rocky terrain. We are all guilty,we are media creations at some point, everybody is. Here is an unexhaustive list of guilty people who ought to go slow when stoning women and there white ways:

if you are obsessed with King James version English
if you cant get over Shakespeare and emulate his style, he aint a nigger u know.
if you love wearing clothes from Italian designers
if you wear cologne
if you watch foreign sports, football, when Africa drops out of the African league stop watching or go watch Zzana Fc live at a local stadium.
If you are very proud of having a good command of any western language
If you do not worship a local deity
If you watch white movies and think Tyler Perry (who by the way employs lots of black people like) and Nigerian movies are wack.
If you are obsessed with or use gadgets
If you like white music
If you don’t wear kanzus or backcloth
If you like foreign alcohol
Like i said, this list is not exhaustive.
We have been influenced by the western world deeply, men and women alike, its not only about hair extensions or what women consume, so stop crucifying our sex. You need to go easy on us because truth is we are all changelings.
Phewks! I feel better

No comments:

Post a Comment